Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Did you see Johnny's backpack? Lame!

     Before I even begin this blog post, I would like to cite my source for this image; only because it came from www.fbi.gov, and I don't need sued. So there you go, FBI, I'm not going to take credit for your image of this girl wearing her blue backpack. Now, to the blog post.
     My fellow bloggers, as I was walking to my Spanish class today through the halls of my local establishment of education where I get educated, otherwise known as high school, I started looking at backpacks. Then my thoughts became even deeper... I made an astonishing discovery about backpacks. Let me explain.
     All the time we see people getting made fun of, or picked on because they don't wear name brand jeans, or name brand shoes, or name brand anything, for that matter. I personally have no preference. How is my Wal-Mart flannel any different than my Kohl's flannel? It's not. How is the cereal from an Aldi's grocery store any different than the cereal that Kellogg's makes? It's still cereal, last time I checked. People are constantly worrying about what people think of them, what they wear, and how they wear it. There is an exception, believe it or not.
     When I arrived to my Spanish class, I quickly updated my seatmate about my life, and then quickly shared my remarkable discovery. Have you ever heard anyone say, "Have you seen Johnny's backpack? Lame sauce right?!" Or, "Can you believe Susie thought that backpack was cool..?" Most likely, you have not. If you have, it is most likely a very extreme case. But when you think about it, who cares what type of backpack you use? No one.
     I have friends that have backpacks that have broken zippers, and broken straps, but still use it anyway. Because really, what's wrong with it? It still gets the job done. I also have friends that still use the L.L.Bean  backpack their parents got them way back in 6th grade. You know, the ones that have your initials on them, and come with that little reflective strip so you when you are carrying your backpack at night, you don't get hit by a car? You know what I'm speaking of. My backpack I got my freshman year of high school. It's just a simple, gray, North Face backpack. I purchased it at Dicks Sporting Goods durring a sale for like $25 and it came with a free, $10 iTunes gift card. Can't beat that right? Well here we are, 3 years later, and I still use that backpack. And never have I been persecuted for it. We all focus on eating the name brand cereal, buying name brand clothes, name brand socks, name brand toilet paper, and name brand rugs for goodness sake. But backpacks? We could care less. And that I am thankful for.

Farewell my fellow bloggers, and in the words of Leslie Allen, "When the kids go back to school, you start seeing a lot of backpacks."

No comments:

Post a Comment